Sunday, February 10, 2013

Maybe one day the nerds will save the world!


Today, especially in adolescence, those of us who are misunderstood are thrown into a category. Loser. Dork. Nerd. Geek. And for the longest time I myself was thrown into these categories. Not only was it deemed uncool, but people didn't believe that I, a girl, could be into the latest video games or the latest issue of Transformers. People didn't believe I collected and played in tournament games of Yu-Gi-Oh and first generation Pokémon. Rather they figured I was just making it up to fit in or get attention from the guys. I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve walked into a local comic book store and been asked if I’m shopping for my boyfriend. This seems to assert that as a woman I have no place within nerd culture. And this saddens me. ☹  

I take pride in the things I love. I dressed up as Hermione Granger from the Harry Potter books a dozen times. I made my own version of the Quibbler to read upside down. I used to study on weekends and curl up with a good book just for fun. I love watching reruns of Card Captor Sakura online. Or playing Saria's song on my Ocarina from King Richard's Faire. I enjoy my weekly D&D nights at my boyfriend's. And I enjoy going to conventions like Temple Con and this past year's RI Comic Con. Just cause I am a girl doesn't mean I don't know just as much about this stuff as the guys! And thus this is the controversy of the "fake geek"!    
   
Particularly, from an outsider point of view, sure this behavior might be considered weird, but why? Nerds are generally more focused on specific things they like. They are generally book smart and tend to know more about computers and their mechanics. I think the issue is rooted in an old concept of what a nerd is: big glasses, weird clothes, an obsessive fondness for inane things, and social awkwardness. These things aren't just for nerds anymore! The issue is that the traditional nerd domains have been embraced by a larger audience. Because of this, some can't accept that a girl can be into the same things as men and don't appreciate her for having the same background knowledge. Truth is, everyone has the potential to be a geek in some way.  But there are varying degrees. It's an identity about what you love and learning more.
    

I found these videos online and I think they are perfect for explaining what I mean! 

1 comment:

  1. People go by the old stereotype when they say girls can't be nerds. With my own friends, more of my female would be classified as "nerdy" than my male ones. Many of them even "out-nerd" me in some topics (except Star Wars of course). The idea of being "a nerd" is definitely more accepting nowadays, especially in the college atmosphere. Something I am very glad for.

    ReplyDelete