Sunday, March 17, 2013

A little fun with new and old ^, ^

So it's been a while since I posted and I apologize. I have been without a computer for a few weeks now. I never realized how many options there were out there and how many different companies can offer the same features, but I think I have finally found a computer that meets all my needs! =)


Anyways, this weekend I went to go see the movie Oz. For those who are worried it is a remake I can assure you it does not ruin the classic from the 1939 American fantasy adventure film produced by Metro Goldwyn Mayer, but rather tells the story of the events that took place 20 years before. It also is it's own story separate from the books.

The novel of The Wizard of Oz holds with it many political interpretations. Biographers report that L. Frank Baum had been a political activist in the 1890s with a special interest in the money question of gold and silver. Other interpretations include a depiction of the hardships such as that the Scarecrow as a representation of American farmers in the late 19th century, the Tin Man as a representation of the American steel industry, the Cowardly Lion as a metaphor for the American military performance in the war, and the flying monkey's as a symbol for Native Americans in the West. In the novel, Dorothy also wore silver slippers, not red ones.

I am curious however to hear about all your opinions of the new film.In the new rendition, Oz, is a small time magician who arrives in the enchanted land and is forced to decide if he will be a good man or a great one. He must find out who is good and who is evil by using magic and circus to transform himself into the wizard everyone expects him to be.

Though, the new Oz falls short in innocence and some charm, it's hard to not like the suspense and unfolding twists of the plot. I highly enjoyed it and the magical essence it presents. In fact, I found myself falling more in love with the story now, than when I had first seen it as a young child. I particularly enjoyed the fact that Oscar was a circus performer who was just trying to make his way in life and found himself along the way.

Should there be a sequel? Well I guess that depends. There is evidence in the film that suggests relations to the characters of the 1939 film. There is also as pre-mentioned a 20 year gap. The story itself should take off where the 1939 film started. However, I think that a series on the wizard himself would be interesting as he appears in several of the Oz stories later down the line. Or perhaps explorations of some of the other characters, such as Glinda or Princess Ozma, rather than relaunching a remake of the Marvelous Wizard Of Oz itself.


6 comments:

  1. Oz the Great and Powerful was a much better film than I'd expected.

    That said, it's not to my mind a completely successful addition to the Oz canon; it brings back very little from the original books (with the exception of adding a character from Baum's "Dainty China Country"), and if it's a prequel, it's a prequel to the 1939 film, not the books. The witches we meet here -- women with real magical power but (apparently) a burning need for a man -- are not at all Baum-like. The Wizard is perhaps closes

    That said, it has some lovely moments, and the B&W opening credits are brilliant, as is the backstory of Oscar Zoroaster Phadrig Isaac Norman Henkel Emmannuel Ambroise Diggs (and yes, that's the name Baum gave him). The climactic scene, in which Diggs employs a projecting phenakistoscope was a rousing one for me.

    I would still rate Return to Oz the best Oz-related film since the 1939 classic; its witch -- Mombi -- and archenemy -- The Nome King -- are straight out of the books, as are its unexpected heroes: Tik-Tok, Jack Pumpkinhead, the Gump, and Billina the talking hen.

    And when will we have the film of Wicked? It's a complete reworking of the book, which was itself a very dark and fascinating reworking of Baum. And it has some pretty fabulous songs ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm .... some text vanished here! The last sentence of the first paragraph should read "The Wizard is perhaps closest to Baum's ideas because he is, in fact, not a real wizard at all."

    ReplyDelete
  3. One last comment (and then I promise to make way for someone else): the theory that Oz is a political allegory of 1890's politics was cooked up by a high school teacher in the 1950's, Henry Littlefield. As the Wikipedia notes, "Littlefield's thesis achieved some popular interest and elaboration but is not taken seriously by literary historians."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you! I am unsure of how exactly I feel in regards to the story behind the witches. I liked the magic behind the Wizard himself, but don't like that Theodora turned into an evil witch purely out of heartbreak. I think there should have been more of a back story to it.

    I would love to see Wicked!! =) I have yet to see it live on Broadway and also think it would be lovely as a hit on the big screen!

    Also, I had not known that the political aspects were cooked up by a teacher. I just remember my teacher telling me about it and always thought them to be quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although I've been an Oz fan all my life, and read Gregory Maguire's Wicked as soon as it came out. But until recently, I'd put off seeing Wicked on stage, partly because of the expense of tickets! This past February, though I finally went -- by searching online I was able to get a ticket for only $150 -- and saw the current Broadway production, which is wonderful, and well worth the cost!

    ReplyDelete
  6. p.s. just checked the PPAC schedule and it turns out Wicked will be here in town from December 26, 2013 – January 12, 2014. I'd definitely recommend it!

    ReplyDelete