Sunday, March 24, 2013

Let's Talk Food!

We've been talking about food in class the past few weeks. It's one of those things we all know and love! After all, nothing brings people together like food. How can you not talk about food and share a great recipe you had the other day or recommend the latest restaurant to a friend? The whole discussion got me curious. In the past few weeks I have gone out to eat a few times more than I normally would. And I created a Yelp account to share. It's also opened my horizons to trying different menu items. At some point, I may have to link that yelp account here if you are interested!


In the meantime,  I think I'm going to write this next post off of some ideas we discussed in class, since there are so many directions this could go.

First, are there any foods that bring you back home or to your childhood? For me, it's my mom's homemade chocolate chip cookies or brownies. I don't know about you but I just love the smell of baked goods circulating throughout the house. Then after being able to eat them as the flavors melt in your mouth with every bite.  Then there are other foods too! My favorite dish is a Portuguese one with rice, chicken, and potatoes mixed. It has bits of chaurice too. Every time I know we are having it, or come home and smell it, I am instantly excited for dinner! :)

Second, are there any recipes in your family that have been passed down? Needless to say, I think, in any culture and in any family there are those recipes that you just have to share. My mom has a whole box full of recipes both new and old. Some of them are handwritten on yellowed index cards, some are typed out, and some are torn out from various magazines or cook books. Not to mention there are cookbooks for everything now: diabetics, vegetarians, gluten free, international, grilling, baking, etc.

We were talking about homemade fresh bread and how the smells bring a sense of home with them. This reminded me of how we used to make homemade biscuits and donuts as a kid. I always thought that that was fun. And at Christmas time, we usually do a lot of baking and bring out some traditional favorites including the Italian Log Cookies, Chocolate Crinkles, Fruit Cake, Pumpkin Bread, and our trail mix. I love that I can take these recipes and in turn pass them on to my kids when I get a family of my own.

Third, and perhaps the last point to this post, is do you think it is important to share recipes?  I think yes. It helps to keep tradition alive and bring family together. You don't necessarily have to give away the secret recipe, but if you share your food- that I think is the one success to learning how to be a better cook or learning how food plays a part in our values. Happy eating!!



2 comments:

  1. I think food is one of the most important things we can share in order to learn more about one another, and overcome our differences. I'm a southerner who has mixed emotions about my heritage. There are lots of negative stereotypes, some people have prejudged me even before saying hello based on that. There is one thing that most everyone can agree on, and that's southern barbecue. No, it's not a grill! It's meat that has been cooked on a grill, either slathered in sauce, or rubbed with a spice mixture. Tomato, mustard, and vinegar are the three dominate bases in addition to a spice rub. My favorite depends on what is being cooked. Pulled pork is best with vinegar, ribs with tomato, and chicken with mustard.

    I have my grandmothers recipe for pound cake which is still my favorite today. Several family members have shared their favorites too, she was a great cook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a link to my Yelp reviews for those of you who are interested in reading them!! :) http://www.yelp.com/user_details?userid=DFGcbK5hQpVz8yxMuo-7-g

    ReplyDelete