Saturday, April 27, 2013

10 Things a 90s kid will always remember!

Ah, to live the weekends of Saturday Morning Cartoons! Remember waking up to those? You, 9AM, a bowl of cereal, half asleep in your PJs, sitting too close to the TV? The days of Recess, Hey Arnold, Rugrats, PowerPuff Girls, Pepper Ann, Doug, Dexter's Lab, Animaniacs and so many other great long forgotten shows.That's definitely something I can't forget! :) And every time I think about it I am suddenly reminded of the past. Here is a list of just some of those things, us 90s kids will never forget.

And what about the wave craze for Nanopets and the infamous Tamagotchi? You know the handheld digital pets that chirped for our attention. We would play with them, feed them, and give them names! I know I must have had at least five myself growing up! 

Then of course there were the other toys we had to have like tech decks, koosh balls and trolls. They seem so silly and simple now, but just like the silly band craze of today these were the have to have finds! 

Koosh balls were made out of rubber bands, and named "Koosh" because that's the sound it made when it landed. They came in so many different colors and some of them even had faces and feet. Tech Decks were fingerboards, about 1:8 scaled, of a skateboard that "rides" by replicating skateboarding maneuvers with their hand. Trolls were cute, cuddly, neon-haired pot-bellied figure plastic dolls with big hair. They came with clothes and accessories. They populated video games and TV shows too. I have a huge box in my basement full of them. I loved those crazy little things!

Snap bracelets were also popular. They made a great addition to any goody bags! They are straight like a ruler and to put them on you simply slap them against your wrist and they curl. The bracelet was banned in several schools following reports of injuries stemming from improper use, but I believe they were introduced somewhat later.

 Another thing that was all the craze were Beanie Babies. When I first started growing my collection, I was attracted to Beanie Babies because they were cute, cuddly, little stuffed animals. Because there was such a variety of animals to choose from, the creatures appealed to everyone. Even adults joined in on the craze. I remember my grandmother collected all of them and they are in display in the games room at her house. In my opinion, that’s a sign of a very successful marketing effort. 

Another big things, most of us girls will probably remember, are the butterfly clips with moveable wings. They stopped making them, but they had a variety of colors and patterns. Some were even super glittery. I bring mine out every now and then to add a uniqueness to any fairy costume.

Back to School for me meant Lisa Frank. And that is not a person's name, but rather the brand. Full
of colorful dolphins, neon leopards, jewel-encrusted frogs, and rainbow unicorns in acid-trip colors. For us, if you didn't have Lisa Frank, you weren't cool. I had folders, stickers, and notebooks. My favorite were the dogs Casey and Caymus.

Gimp was a plastic coated string. Many of us enjoyed using these strings to make jewelry. The two most common types of designs used were the box and the butterfly. I even used gimp in my bead creations. I remember my cousin and I used to sit on the steps outside making all these little beaded things. Similar to this were perler beads. You used to use multicolored, soft plastic beads and you would place them on pegged plates to form designs, shapes and characters.Then you would use an iron to melt and fuse the beads together.

Another thing, we pretty much all remember are warheads. They were extremely sour then sweet little candies you could suck. A driving force behind the candy's popularity were informal competitions among schoolchildren to determine who could withstand eating the largest number of Warheads at once. Growing up we used to walk over to the video store and we would buy these as a treat for the walk home.

And finally is Sega and all other incorporating video games. I personally had the Sega Genesis handheld! Sega previously developed and manufactured its own brand of home video game consoles from 1983 to 2001. Sega was home to such video games as Sonic the Hedgehog, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, and Taz-mania! Sega even had to create the first content rating system for video games since there was controversy over some of the games in the system.It was later bought out by Nintendo, another popular industry.

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this. It is funny to think of these things that we remember and how classic they are, and that generations after us will have no recollection of them. Reading this really brought me back to my youth and remembering what things I had and wanted as a child. This was a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! And I know. I had to narrow the list down! lol Then there are those things no one will remember in the newer generations, like VCRs and VHS, tape decks, cassette players, and cd players. :) Eventually I think i might wanna blog about that too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you had a fun childhood. I have to admit, I'm not that familiar with some of the references, but I get the idea. I hope you have those troll dolls in a locked crate; I used to think they'd come alive and attack me in my sleep! I still love Bugs Buny and Scooby Doo, and have fond memories of Saturday morning cartoons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have them all in a giant bin down in my basement. No need to worry! lol And that's okay. Each generation had it's own toys. I know I still remember Cabbage Patch Kids, Lite-Brite, Etch-A-Sketch, and View Master too. These have been around forever. Sometimes the classics just never die! ♡

    ReplyDelete